Sunday 8 April 2012

Lexie's Chain: The Sixty-Sixth Chain

Hello pals! Welcome to Week 66 of #lexieschain. Dis week was down to Tucker (@bvfeyj) to choose. Last week we ad Bobby McFerrin and Drive. So let's av a look at dem now.

@parkerSkat
Bobby McFerrin. Wow. When I think of Bobby McFerrin, I recall the Grammy award winning album by the Manhattan Transfer, "Vocalese". The album features both McFerrin and John Hendricks. Hendricks has been credited as one of the leaders in skat singing. Hendricks collaborated with Janis Siegel on an earlier project, "Extensions". That collaboration on the chart "Birdland" also earned Grammies for both the group and Siegel and Hendricks as duo arrangers.

The original Birdland was a club in NYC where all the jazz cats played. It was named after Charlie "Yardbird" Parker, just as I am named Parker. Mom has seen ManTran performing this chart many times, so it is very special to us. Please ejoy this live version of "Birdland".




@kelsoterrier
Hmm, must find a link to Drive by Bobby McFerrin. Ok, well Drive is from the Album entitled Don't Worry, Be Happy and the title track from this album is Mr McFerrin's most famous song. Don't Worry, Be Happy is a great whistling song and another of my favourite whistling songs is Patience by Guns N Roses. Also, Driving can be very stressful these days with so much traffic about so sometimes we all need a little patience when we drive ;-) So my choice is Patience by Guns N Roses.




@bvfeyj
Last week we did hab "Drive" by Bobby McFerrin. His father Robert McFerrin, Sr. was an opera star. In 1950 he became the first African-American to star at The Metropolitan Opera. Another famous operatic singer of the same time period was Mario Lanza who played The Great Caruso in da 1951 film ob dat name about da life ob da famous tenor Enrico Caruso who was Mario Lanza's idol. So me suggest his first million selling recording "Be My Love" tho dis not opera.  "Be My Love" by Mario Lanza



@bilbo_the_bunny
Last week we had Drive by Bobby McFerrin. Mr McFerrin was famous for his unusual singing style known as multiphonic singing. Other performers who used this in their music include the KLF. The most famous song from The KLF is Justified and Ancient which did feature Country singer Tammy Wynette. Ms Wynette did a famous song called Stand by Your Man.

Another artist who did have a song of the same name is LL Cool J. He did record another song what is claimed to be the 1st ever rap ballad - I Need Love. So, that is my suggestion for this week's #lexieschain.

@djladylexie
Ok. Drive by Bobby McFerrin – mmmmm let me fink. Ok Bobby McFerrin sings in intersting throat, chanting an harmonic singin. The KLF is also famus for dis type of singin and so I chooses dere hit song 3am eternal by KLF!




@wonderwinger
Last week's winning entry from Tucker featured Bobby McFerrin performing Drive. One of the noises he produced was an echo. This made me think of another artist who sang as if to create an echo. The artist I thought of was the great comedienne Joyce Grenfell & the song was Joyful Noise.




@marleyterrier
i see that Tucker did be suggestin we Drive....so i am gettin to wondrin wot sort of fing you could be drivin....mebbe a car?....mebbe a bus mebbea train? But I likes lorries best. But i dussnt be drivin one lorry...i got a ole load of em for all the participants in Da Chain ....so we can form a CONVOY!! so that be my entry, Convoy by CW McCall....breaker, breaker one nine *cracklin*




@bunnersandharvs
Yay to da Tucker wot dus be a cleva set of paws frum last week's chainy woo! It wus a great songy! So den wot dus a bunch uf paws chooze dis week den? Well da dischushuns & paw tapping dis week means we dus go wid Zapp Mama's Drifting because dey wus influenced by da Bobby McFerrin. Dey dus have variety of songy wongs but why dus we choose dis songy you say? We says cus when Mum dus DRIVE sometimes she dus drift away thorting abowt wot treats to buys us next. You drifting, you keep on drifting doo dee dah doobee doo... BOL! 




@diamondbertie
Last week's winner was Drive by Bobby McFerrin, we all thought and thought and here is the only one we could come up with Nat "King" Cole's Route 66, It was so connected to cars and driving.



An the winner of da 66th chain ...... as chosen by Tucker ...... dus be ...... .... oh no!!! it's  me again! pffttttt! So sorry!!! Let's take a vote you fink I shod stop playing, you tell me. An here wot Tucker said bowt it:

me did neber hear ob KLF and not know who picked dis one, but eben tho me wanted to pick da great Nat King Cole wif Route 66, me dus hab to say dis one da winner this week. so congratulations to whoeber picked whoeber they are! BOL

me was surprised dat no one did submit "Drive" by The Cars




Anyway is time again get your finkin caps on an send me (find out how on da guidelines page fing) the next link in the chain. Da winner dis week dus be pickin da winner next week and dat means you dad on behalf of me!

It's over to you! Email me: lexie at toxicpenguin dot com or DM me on twitter (@dogstoyevsky) wiv your link suggestion followin on from dis one! You has until noon (GMT) Sunday 15 April 2012. Sometimes I dus accidentally delete em! Heehee. So good idea to type DO NOT DELETE in the title! Ha-haaaaa - definitely works though!

Lexie's Chain dus be inspired by da pawsome Radcliffe & Maconie Show wot you can has a listen to on dere website. Follow me @dogstoyevsky or #lexieschain on Twitter to join da fun. Remember anyfink goes! Rock, classical, opera, ballads, punk, reggae - is up to you! Fanx for playin!

No comments:

Post a Comment