Monday 4 March 2013

Lexie's Chain: The Hundred and Eleventh Chain





Hello pals! Welcome to week 111 of #lexieschain. Last week the winner wos me aka @djladylexie wiv Dr Beat, Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine. So lets see wot we got dis week. 

@rettetkaninchen
Back to the 80ies! Wooohhooo! Another not soooo good dancer is Sandra. She did a cover of Dr. Beat where she, well, erm, moves a bit funny. But Sandra is a great singer and one of her biggest hits and a fantastic song is "Maria Magdalena". 





@maggietkat
Last week's winner was Dr. Beat by Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine. As I watched the video, I was struck by the crowd dancing scenes. There were many great dancing scenes in the 1980's like Thriller, Wang Chung, the Kinks, and who could forget Men without Hats. However, Sweet Home Chicago blues are always on my mind. My choice this week, featuring my favorite of all crowd dancing scenes, is "Shake a Tail Feather" as sung by Ray Charles and the Blues Brothers in 1980.



@skye613
Woo Hoo! Well done Lexie! So the winning link was " Dr. Beat" by Miami Sound Machine. This was the 1st international single released in English by the band in 1984. Roger Fisher , founding member of Heart, played on this song & the album Eyes of Innocence. Heart , which was started as The Army in 1967, was formed by Roger Fisher, his brother & Steve Fossen. Ann Wilson joined in 1970 & Nancy in 1974. Roger, Ann & Nancy were heavily influenced by Led Zeppelin founded by Jimmy Page from The New Yardbirds. Both Fisher & Page utilized a theremin, an early electronic instrument, controlled by antennas. 

In 1980 Led Zeppelin broke up & Roger Fisher was voted out of Heart.My link suggestion for this week is Heart performing " Stairway To Heaven" at the Kennedy Center Honors to honor Led Zeppelin.





@bvfeyj
Lexie did gib us Gloria Estefan and da Miami Sound Machine wif Dr. Beat. Turns out dat Gloria Estefan did also record a Spanish language album which got me finking who else did Spanish language albums (Linda Ronstadt, Julio Iglesias, Christina Aguilera, etc.) Roundabout way me did work back to a pioneer in Latin and Chicano rock music who is considered by many to be da first Latino to enter mainstream rock music. Eben though his career lasted less than a year he hab influenced many artists who followed. Ironically, although he was Mexican/American and his biggest hit was sung in Spanish, he did not speak the language, learning the lyrics phonetically for the recording ob “La Bamba”. 



@diamondbertie
Thinking of Gloria Estafan, So I googled her and I see she was cast to play Connie Francis who was famous for Whose Sorry Now. That is my choice.





@patchdacat
“Dr Beat” and Miami Sound Machine was the winning linky last week put up by Lexie. The second single by them was “Bad Boy”. A video was made of this featuring Gloria Estefan with the cast of the musical “Cats”. So my linky this week comes from that show & I choose the beautiful song “Memory” sung by Elaine Paige as Grizabella in which she appeals to the Jellicle Tribe of cats to be the one to be allowed to travel to the Heaviside Layer and be reborn to a new Jellicle Life.



@smcheetham
Hi Lexie chain time again. Last week you won (hurrah) with Dr Beat I think it was. That led me to one of my fave bands from the old two tone era back in the late seventies early eighties. One of my fave two tone bands were The Beat. One of their best songs was Mirror in the Bathroom. So my link based on the word Beat is Mirror in the Bathroom by The Beat.



@wonderwinger
Congrats to Lexie on winning with Dr Beat and the Miami Sound Machine. Miami Sound Machine were fronted by Gloria Estefan. Our Gloria was born in Havana, Cuba so I thought I'd find a Cuban linky. The Buena Vista Social Club was a member's club in Havana where Cuban musicians & artists would play, dance and gamble together. It was closed after the Cuban Revolution but a young Cuban musician: Juan de Marcos González discovered many of the musicians that played there were still alive and formed a musical collective with them named after the club. My choice & their most famous song is entitled "Chan Chan".




@claptonterrier
we saw that last week you chose Dr Beat by Miami Sound Machine…well, in these times of great austerity we think that Dr Beat would be very glad to see a patient or two….so I am here for a consultation….Doctor..its my eyes!



@rosieterrier
Well done to Lexie n her eighties beats last week (removes ghetto blaster from shoulder). My chain is short this week. I choose Toots and the Maytails(;-) 'Funky Kingston'. This is because it is the theme tune for Miami Ink which links to Miami Sound Machine, see! Also I dus be looking into getting a tattoo of my mum in my right ear and maybe Ami James will do it for me! Bol! *snaps paws*.



@bunnersandharvs
Well dun to dat grooyvy paw wot be Lexie who won da chainy wid Gloria Estefan & Miam Sound Machine's Dr Beat! We has decided to continue on wif da Doctor linky cawse hoomans seems ta always needs a doctor...so hows about Dr. Dre - I Need a Doctor. By da way, he sings da songy wif Eminem, Skylar Grey so der dus be norty words in it. 




@millie_t_dog
My song is Doctor! Doctor! by Thompson Twins. Why? Because it also features the word doctor in the title; it was a hit from 1984 the same year as Dr Beat and it's a song from humum's youth. Simples!




And ............. da winner dis week .... as chosen by dad ......................... dus be ................ @maggietkat wiv Shake A Tail Feva! Yay!! Well done ma pal. It has been a while since we seen you!

Now is time to get your finkin caps on an send me (find out how on da guidelines page fing) the next link in the chain. Da winner dis week dus be pickin da winner next week and dat means you Maggie!!

It's over to you! Email me: lexie at toxicpenguin dot com or DM me on twitter (@dogstoyevsky) wiv your link suggestion followin on from dis one! You has until noon (GMT) Sunday 10 March 2013 (gots to get it to me by 2pm UK time if poss). Oh sometimes I dus accidentally delete em! Heehee. So good idea to type DO NOT DELETE in the title!  

Lexie's Chain dus be inspired by da pawsome Radcliffe & Maconie Show wot you can has a listen to on dere website. Follow me @dogstoyevsky or #lexieschain on Twitter to join da fun. Remember anyfink goes! Rock, classical, opera, ballads, punk, reggae - is up to you! Fanx for playin!

No comments:

Post a Comment