Monday 29 April 2013

Lexie's Chain: The Hundred and Nineteenth Chain

Hello pals! Welcome to week 119 of #lexieschain. Last week the winner was Kelso wiv Entrance of The Gladiators. So lets see wot we got dis week.

@diamondbertie
Fantastic choice for last week The Entry of the Gladiators wonderful music and the link was superb. My choice is Adagio from Spartacus by Khachaturian, we know Spartacus was a slave and gladiator and the music was made famous as the theme from the Onedin Line.

The opening sequence showed the beautiful ship with her sails billowing out and Anne Stallibrass running down to the quay.



@skye613
What a wonderful wining link @kelsoterrier " Entry of the Gladiators." My mind started racing to the circus , carnivals and gladiators. The soundtrack for the film Gladiators in 2000 was written by Hans Zimmer & Lisa Gerrard. It won a Golden Globe. Before composing for movies Gerrard was a member of Dead Can Dance. My suggestion this week is "The Carnival is Over".



@freddie_bt
Dis week's winner gave Dad n I some ead scratchin as we hadn't eard of Julius Fucik n nor nor did we know da name of da piece of music dat's traditionally played for clowns. Anyways we looked im up n discovered he wuz Czech. Well Dad didn't want to choose a song wiv Bohemian wefewences in its title but it turns out dat Mr Fucik like many Czechs wuz born in Prague which takes us nicely to Half Man Half Biscuit wiv da childhood weminiscence dat is "All I Want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague Away Kit". Actually all Dad wanted was a Subbuteo team in Real Madrid kit which he did get one Christmas or Burfday, pwoblem wuz people kept sayin "so yous a Leeds Utd supporter den" which wuz annoyin fer im, understandably.


@bvfeyj
Well, dis week we look for linky to “Entrance of the Gladiators” which was da brilliant winning entry from @kelsoterrier. Me did fink, “what on earf can me link to dat?????” And me did wrack me little brain till me head hurted. Den suddenly out ob da blue me did fink “Entrance of the Gladiators” is sort ob a fanfare for da clowns (or da gladiators) and does we hab uvver fanfares? We does! So me fink we gots da Olympic Fanfare and da Coronation Fanfare and more. Now if you fink about it, clowns, gladiators, royalty, and Olympic afeletes is kind ob elite, so me fink we should consider da “Fanfare for the Common Man” by Aaron Copland.

“Fanfare for the Common Man” by Aaron Copland




Or you can see dis version by Emerson, Lake & Palmer. Performed at Olympic Stadium in Montreal. It bery different, much longer but at least Mr. Copland might recognize da beginning and da end. LMTO.



@smcheetham
Late weeks winner was Kelso and I found getting the link from that one quite tricky to be honest. In the end I have used the word Entrance to give me my link. Entrance led me to door and then to doorbells. So my song is My Doorbell by the White Stripes. There is nothing causes excitement as much here as a ring on the doorbell bark bark bark. Good luck everyone.





@claptonterrier
I see that last week mr Kelso was the winner with "Entry of the Gladiators"….that means a lot of fighting if I remember my history….so we have considered a few "fighting" songs like Eye of the Tiger from the Rocky movies and Sreet Fighting Man by the Rolling Stones and, of course, Saturday Night's All Right for Fighting by Elton John but in the end we have settled for ….*drum roll*…..NO, not Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas…who do you think we are? eh?….we are having "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by Pat Benatar….


@baxer_man
Well done to Kelso fer his win last weeky in #lexieschain wif da track Entrance of the Gladiators. I dun did google it fer more informashiun and dis be wat it says......

"Entrance of the Gladiators" or "Entry of the Gladiators" (Czech: Vjezd gladiátorů, German: Einzug der Gladiatoren) is a militarymarch composed in 1897 by the Czech composer Julius Fučík. He originally titled it "Grande Marche Chromatique," reflecting the use of chromatic scales throughout the piece, but changed the title based on his personal interest in the Roman Empire.

What da heck do chromatic scales be, is day frum chromatic fish or sumfing? It dunt really help much cause dere bee two many huge werds I dunt noes.

I recognyse it frum da circus but not noes all dis about it dat it be a marchin song. I finks it be a fun song fer a army persun two march two and dis wear I did go lookin fer a notha fun army song. Pa and me rekon Dat one of da bestest army songs be Elvis Costello's classic, Oliver's Army so it be my linky.  I hopes youz all enjoy!



@bunnersandharvs
We says dat Kelso is one cleva paw wif his slecshun last week and der was sum supa songys too. So now we was a marchin our paws around da house trying ta figure a good linky and we thort of da moovie The Gladiator. And guess what? Hanz Zimmer wroted da theme fur dat moovie lyke he did fur about 100 others and one of them others was da Lion King too.

So we going wif a songy in da Lion King wot dus be a theme in dis house which is Hakuna Matata. You knows it means der is nooo worries in life! So get your paws tappin and go wif dat Hakoona Matataa! 




@wonderwinger
I'm keeping it simples this week as I is lacking time so my link is from the Gladiator film soundtrack "Now We Are Free". It's just an excuse to ogle at Russell Crowe in a leather skirt really... *opens popcorn* yum



@djladylexie
Okeydokins! Entrance of the Gladiators. Well the linky starts with a gladiator, the most famous one bein Spartacus of course. Now, the original Spartacus movie had an all star cast includin Kirk Douglas as Spartacus. It also famous for Tony Curtis who stands up and say's I'm Spartacus along wiv bowty hundred uvvas! Well, Tony Curtis also starred in Some Like It Hot in which he pretends to be someone else too and mimicks Cary Grant for the part! Cary Grant starred in the movie Houseboat wiv Sophia Loren in which she sung ma linky song – Bing Bang Bong! 


An ............. da winner dis week .... as chosen by Kelso dus be ................ @freddie_bt. Woofhoo well done ma pal! First win! Woofhoo!

Now is time to get your finkin caps on an send me (find out how on da guidelines page fing) the next link in the chain. Da winner dis week dus be pickin da winner next week and dat means you Freddie.

It's over to you! Email me: lexie at toxicpenguin dot com or DM me on twitter (@dogstoyevsky) wiv your link suggestion followin on from dis one! You has until noon (GMT) Sunday 5 May  2013 (gots to get it to me by 2pm UK time if poss). Oh sometimes I dus accidentally delete em! Heehee. So good idea to type DO NOT DELETE in the title!

Lexie's Chain dus be inspired by da pawsome Radcliffe & Maconie Show wot you can has a listen to on dere website. Follow me @dogstoyevsky or #lexieschain on Twitter to join da fun. Remember anyfink goes! Rock, classical, opera, ballads, punk, reggae - is up to you! Fanx for playin!

No comments:

Post a Comment