Monday 23 September 2013

Lexie's Chain: The Hundred and Fortieth Chain



Hello pals! Welcome to week 140 of #lexieschain. Before we start I wud like to dedicate this chain to @gunthergrunts who we lost under tragic circumstances. This is for all his pals wot be grieving -  *bows head* - RIP Gunther ma pal. 

Last week the winner was Freddie wiv Free and My Bruvva Jake. So wot dus we dus av this week? 

@diamondbertie
Last week @freddie_bt chose My Brother Jake keeping the dark theme of drug/alcohol abuse, I had to choose Gloomy Sunday by Billie Holiday, sometimes referred to as the suicide anthem (useless information).




@skye613
Wow last week's win by @freddie_bt did cause me to learn so much. Thanks pal. So in my reading I found that Paul Kossoff's famous 1959 Les Paul guitar passed to a friend after his death. Another famous 1959 Les Paul is Peter Greens. Finding himself in financial trouble Green gave the guitar to Gary Moore who was a neighbor. Moore wouldn't accept it as a gift & paid Green what he had paid for the instrument. This guitar has been played by Hendrix, Jeff Beck, and Rory Gallagher among others. In 2006 it was sold to a private collector. My link is Gary Moore's cover of " I loved Another Woman" . Written by Peter Green. 





@claptonterrier
hello Miss Lexie….last week the clever Mr Freddie won with My Brother Jake by Free. The last album by Free was called Heartbreaker. Another band who made use of that name was Tommy Petty & The Heartbreakers. Our favourite song by them is Free Fallin' ….so not much of a link this week but just a lovely song.




@djladylexie
One of our favourite Free songs dus be All Right Now … Free performed this at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970 wot mum's sista did nortily go to and was in big big trubble wif their dad for doin that. The festival was our version of Woodstock I spose you might say wiv nearly 700,00 people attendin. One of the uvva bands wot we does dig wot also performed at the IoW festival dus be Procol Harum (wot also appens to be from Essex yay!). Probly their most famous song of all time dus be Whiter Shade of Pale, exactly wot colour mum's dad went when he found out her sista had gone to the IoW festival heehee. So dat ma linky. We chose them performin live again at IoW 2010 to show how timeless this number is and ow good Gary Brooker is even all poshed up wiv orchestra la-de-da!



@bunnersandharvs
Well dat Freddie did have a great selekshun in last week's chainy so a big and happy well dun to him! So we been thinking about da songy last week and how sad it woz dem hoomans has got so lost whether it be through drugs or from being ill or even when dey eventually dus go OTRB, we dus miss dem. So that did get us thinking bowt da songy by Pink Floyd, 'Wish You Were Here'. Dis versun here dus be David Gilmour live. We dus also want to mention dear Gunther wot did go OTRB dis week. We will miss you too, dear pal. 





@kelsoterrier
Last week's winner was Free with My Brother Jake. This made me think of other songs written about and named after people such as (My) Delilah, My Sharona and emm, My Girl. One that immediately sprung to mind though was My Michelle by Guns n Roses because it was about a friend of the bands and discussed her drug addiction and how she got herself "clean", let's hope brother Jake took the advice and sorted himself out too. My choice isn't My Michelle though, now I've linked to Guns n Roses I would like to choose another of their songs about drugs and addiction entitled Mr Brownstone. *Sings* "I used to do a little but a little wouldn't do it so a little got more and more" I think it's about sossidges ;-).





@maggietkat
Great choice with "Free" band! Lead singer Paul Rodgers accomplished much after the band including a 1993 Grammy nominated tribute album to Muddy Waters. One of the musicians on that album was Brian Setzer. Brian won a Grammy in 2000 for his version of a jazz chart "Caravan". So, please enjoy this incredible rendition of the 1930’s standard made famous by Duke Ellington.



An da winner ............... as chosen by @freddie_bt ... dus be .......@diamondbertie wiv Gloomy Sunday by Billie Holiday. Yay Bertie! Well dun ma pal! Oh an dat means you will be selectin the winner next week.

Ere wot Freddie did say: I duz find choosin vewy difficult as deres always so many gweat linkys. Dad speshully liked Linky 4 wiv da story of goin to IoW festival, Dad wud av loved dat coz of Free n The Moody Blues. Anyways as gud as dat n Linky 2 is coz we also luvs Peter Green we av selected Linky 1, Gloomy Sunday. Dad duz always like to hear new music or music he hasnt heard before n he has never weally listened to Billie Holliday despite her stature in music, he loved da song n da glorious voice. Fanks fer choosin it.

It's over to you! Email me: lexie at toxicpenguin dot com or DM me on twitter (@dogstoyevsky) wiv your link suggestion followin on from dis one! You has until noon (GMT) Sunday 29th September 2013 (gets it to me by 2pm UK time if poss). Oh sometimes I dus accidentally delete em! Heehee. So good idea to type DO NOT DELETE in the title!

Lexie's Chain dus be inspired by da pawsome Radcliffe & Maconie Show wot you can has a listen to on dere website. Follow me @dogstoyevsky or #lexieschain on Twitter to join da fun. Remember anyfink goes! Rock, classical, opera, ballads, punk, reggae - is up to you! Fanx for playin!

No comments:

Post a Comment