Sunday 29 December 2013

Lexie's Chain: The Hundred and Fifty Fourth Chain



Hello pals! Welcome to week 154 of #lexieschain. The Final Chain! Wooooofhoooo!! Who will be da Chain Champ 2013? Well I will tell you after I has dun me calculatins which probly dus be tomorroeee!! Is a close fing and I wants to fanx you all so much for pawticipatin.

I dedicatin this year's Lexie's Chain to our dear pal Tucker who  I hope is safe and warm an not missin his lovely mum Joyce too much. We miss them boaf very much.

 Now, .... on wiv da final chainy! Last week da winner was Skye wiv Blood, Sweat and Tears an Sometimes in Winter. Let's see wot we got this week:

@maggietkat
Well done Skye! Blood Sweat and Tears was an iconic bluesy rock band in the 60's. ne of their hits was "And when I die" written by Lauro Nyro. One of my favorite songs was also released in 1968 written and sung by Laura is "Stoned Soul Picnic". Please enjoy! 



 

@diamondbertie
Last weeks winner was @skye613 who chose Sweat Blood and Tears with Sometimes in Winter, so keeping the winter theme my choice is Troika from Lieutenant Kije by Prokofiev, I always think of dashing through the snow warmly wrapped.




@smcheetham
So final chain of the year hope everyone had a good Christmas with lots of time to listen to music. I have to confess I am very ignorant about Blood sweat and Tears so had to look them up. one thing that struck me was that the list of band members was incredibly long over the years. I also discovered that they are named after a Johnny cash album from the early 60s so that took us to a rich musical vein. I have chosen a song that featured in Johnny Cash's later years and is also unusually a cover. So the link is Johnny Cash and it's him covering Hurts the Trent Reznor song Hurts. Not very festive I am afraid. Happy new Year to all the chain gang.




@claptonterrier
Hello to you Miss Lexie…I can’t believe its the final chain of the year….how quickly its gone…anyway, last week our friend Skye won with Sometimes in Winter by Blood Sweat and Tears….its winter of course now and this morning we are looking out at the frosty lawn and thinking about our link…even the terriers are happier inside in their beds….its a chilly day and so we have been thinking about the song Chill Factor by the Pretenders….the terriers are pretending that they are working hard, but no blood, sweat or tears are being used up in barking at stuff from their needs by the radiators!..





@freddie_bt
"Sometimes in Winter" is a luvly melancholic song dealin wiv da loss of love, accentuated by n compared to da cold n isolation of winter or so it seems to us. It made us fink of a gawjuss song fwom da Tea Street Band, a bwilliant independent band fwom Liverpool. If U2 collided wiv da Happy Mondays dis wud surely be da sound. "Summer Dreaming" reflects on da passin of summer, da emptiness of winter n has ambiguous references to someone who's lost, or left or mebbe wuz never dere in da first place. 



@bunnersandharvs
Well dun to dat Skyw fur such a good linky as ever. Mum did grow up listening to Blood Sweat and Tears and luved dem and dis gots her thinking bowt udder bands wot she listened tooo so da songy we going wid is by Chicago Transit Authority's 'Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?' Why? Cos in winter we neva knows wot time it is.... Dis is da long vershun of da songy and we hopes you enjoys it as much as Mum did. 





@djladylexie
Ma linky dus be Bob Marley & The Wailers and Buffalo Soldier! What the … I hear you say. Well let me tell you! I never eard of dem before so I checked em out on da interwebnet. We didn't realise we knew a lot of their songs already! Al Kooper was the man who brought the original line up of BST togeva but soon moved on to an amazin career. Not only did he perform wiv world famous music stars such as Jim Hendrix, Cream, BB King and the Rollng Stones but was also producing music for many children TV shows includin The Banana Splits. Bear wiv me on dis! We getting there.

Ralph Covert, also a children's music composer recorded a cover of The Tra La La Song (Banana Splits feem toon) on his album At The Bottom of the Sea. It is rumoured that Bob Marley comments on the striking (though not exact) similarity between the song's chorus and the bridge of Bob and the Wailers song Buffalo Soldier so dat ma linky!




So, da winner of da final chain of 2013 ....... as chosen by Skye ......... dus be ....... Harvey (@bunnerandharvs). Yay!! Well done ma pal! well done!

Ere wot Skye said bowty it:

What a fantastic way to end the year of #Lexieschain. Seven great links some I knew some I didn't but do now. Dis is the hardest part of the chainy. Each brilliant link touched me from the picnic to the trio of horses. But one link made me smile and that is the way to end the year ... With a smile on our faces & our paws a tapping. My choice this week is link # 6 Does Anybody really know what time it is? BOL well done. #3 was a very close second. And a huge thanks to Lexie & her Mom for all the hard work each week. I look so forward to another great year of Lexieschain & all ma pals! Well done all! 

So dat's it for dis year.  Here's to 2014!! So it's over to you. Email me: lexie at toxicpenguin dot com or DM me on twitter (@dogstoyevsky) wiv your link suggestion followin on from dis one! You has until noon (GMT) 5th January 2014 (gets it to me by 2pm UK time if poss). Oh sometimes I dus accidentally delete em! Heehee. So good idea to type DO NOT DELETE in the title!

Lexie's Chain dus be inspired by da pawsome Radcliffe & Maconie Show wot you can has a listen to on dere website. Follow me @dogstoyevsky or #lexieschain on Twitter to join da fun. Remember anyfink goes! Rock, classical, opera, ballads, punk, reggae - is up to you! Fanx for playin!

No comments:

Post a Comment