Monday 14 April 2014

Lexie's Chain: The Hundred and Sixty Ninth Chain



Hello pals! Welcome to week 169 of #lexieschain. Last week da winner was Freddie wiv Saf Benda Bilili an Je t'Aime. Let's see wot we gots dis week:

@thisbear
The last link was music created by folk who live in the grounds of a zoo. The next step must be to listen to some music made by The Animals. Here they are singing "House of the Rising Sun".





@WOtterface
Well, we've chosen to go down the African artists route to lead us to our next choice. From DR of the Congo to South Africa and Ladysmith Black Mambazo. But, we're not choosing one of their songs but our favourite song from an associated act - Paul Simon and You Can Call me Al. Al is my Dad's name and Mom and Dad danced to this at their wedding (not their first dance!) Also, grandad loves the video with Chevy Chase pulling silly faces.




@maggietkat
That Freddie is so clever with Staff Benda Bilili playing "Je t'Aime". My take is these players are making music out of adversity. The Blues came out of the segregated sourthern United States about the turn of the century and spoke to the roots of blacks as well as their troubles. W.C.Handy is credited with being one of the fathers of the Blues. He was born in Florence, Alabama which just happens to be where my grandma-in-law was born (link 1). Coincidently he wrote "St. Louis Blues", my choice for the week. Link 2 is we live in St. Louis; link 3 is the Blues; and link 4 (stretching it) St. Louis hockey team is the Blues. Enjoy!




@diamondbertie
@freddie_bt won last week with the haunting Staff Benda Bibili with Je t Aime, the title does remind me of an old favourite also Je t Aime Moi Non Plus. This song was banned in the UK as being too hot and erotic, (those were the days!)



@skye613
Freddie you are one clever BT! This weeks winning link to me to Africa. Staff Benda Bilili was comprised of some homeless and disabled bandmates. Ladysmith Black Mambazo is a male choral group from South Africa. " Homeless".




@claptonterrier
Hello to you Miss Lexie…..last week Mr Freddie chose a song by the band Staff Benda Billi…..this is a band of disabled musicians from a country called the Democratic Republic of Congo….the Congo is a gigantic river which flows through Africa. It is the world’s deepest river and in places is over 200m deep and also discharges more water than any other river in the world except for the Amazon….so this week our linky is Take Me to the River by Al Green….




@smcheetham
Well done Freddie for last week another fine win. I was interested to read more about Staff Benda Bilili and its a fascinating story. One thing I learned gave me my link for this week, that was that members of the band suffered from polio once I saw that I immediately had a link to another person who contracted polio as a child and that is Ian Drury. That took me to What a Waste which is my favourite Ian Drury Song enjoy your week my friends.



@terenceterrier
Last week da winnin linky woz “je t’aime” by Staff Benda Bilili . I fink dat translates to “ I love you “ . So my linky iz “She Loves You” by The Beatles.



*leaves mum in corner reliving teenage years*

@djladylexie
Great linky Freddie and fanx for introducin us to Staff Benda Bilili. A mpst interestin story. I'm goin wiv da street musician linky. Street performers are also known as buskers. One very famous british singer who started as a busker and is very active in the political arena and many of his songs reflect that. So we dus choose, New England, also covered beautifully by Kirsty MacColl.




@bunnersandharvs
So a big old well dun to dat Freddie fur his winning linky last week called Staff Benda Bilili. We int hurd of dem before but we did enjoy listenin to dem and it gots us thinking about other Street Moosic and how it links us all whether you likes it or not, it is wot joins us and makes us tap our paws sooooo we found a longer linky dis week. We thort is was coool cos so many different people and different moosic too. It's called The Phenomenon of Street Music cos it don't matter wot language you barks, we all connected to stuff wot we likes to danse to so hit it, get your paws tapping and enjoy pals.




An da winner ... as chosen by  .... @freddie_bt ...... dus be .............. @maggietkat. Yay! So dat meant you dus be choosin next week Maggie!

Ere wot Freddie said: Vewy difficult choice as I luvd all da linkys n all da songs. So temptin to pick 7 or 9, 2 of my most favwite songs by favwite singers but I was drawn to linkys 2(luvly story n song), 3(so clever) n 4(so suggestive so French). In da end linky 3 wiv its connections n its roots is my winner. Fanks to all of you.

So it's over to you. Email me: lexie at toxicpenguin dot com or DM me on twitter (@dogstoyevsky) wiv your link suggestion followin on from dis one! You has until 20th April 2014 (gets it to me by 2pm UK time if poss). Oh sometimes I dus accidentally delete em! Heehee. So good idea to type DO NOT DELETE in the title and dussnt forget to send a linky to da video from You Tube!

Lexie's Chain dus be inspired by da pawsome Radcliffe & Maconie Show wot you can has a listen to on dere website. Follow me @dogstoyevsky or #lexieschain on Twitter to join da fun. Remember anyfink goes! Rock, classical, opera, ballads, punk, reggae - is up to you! Fanx for playin!

No comments:

Post a Comment