Tuesday 24 June 2014

Lexie's Chain: The Hundred and Seventy Seventh Chain




Hello pals! Welcome to week 177 of #lexieschain. Welcome back pals. Mum all okies enuff to elp me wiv computa! So last time was Wyn and Freddie joint winners. So lets see wot we gots dis week:

@maggietkat
2 winners! Well Done Freddie and Wyn! I have chosen to link with The Civil War's "Barton Hollow". Their contemporary bluegrass reminded me of the movie, "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?" and The Soggy Bottom Boys. One member of the "band" was Tommy Johnson who had sold his soul to the devil. Barton Hollow spoke of strife, and my pick of the week does the same, "Man of Constant Sorrow".



@skye613
Ohh 2 winners! Well done Freddie & Wyn. So looking at both songs .. we see the Civil War & bells. On December 25, 1864 upon hearing of his sons enlistment in the Union Army, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote Christmas Bells in which he expressed his anguish over the hate tearing the nation apart. In 1872 it was set to music by John Baptiste Calken and is known today as " I Heard The Bells on Christmas Day" . The poem is 7 stanzas long but most renditions remove two verses that directly address the Civil War. 




@diamondbertie
Tubular Bell by Mike Oldfield is a lovely tune and my choice for this link is another Mike Oldfield piece Moonlight Shaddow.



@borderpup
We just seen you're doing chainy dis week - eek! Ok, so we will make a linky from Tubular Bells and go wiv annuver sort of tube, Down in the Tubestation at Midnight by The Jam. See what I did there? I'll get my coat ...



@claptonterrier
Last time there were two winners but we decided to link to Mr Freddie’s choice of Tubular Bells…..typist f course wanted to do links to tubular tyres and something to do with cycling but I have insisted that we do a link to the sort of tubes I like…the one with the trains in when I go to London so our link this week is “Down in the Tube Station at Midnight” by The Jam…



@djladylexie
Ok well our linky do be cocaine! What the … well hang on pals. Let me explain!
Right Mike Oldfield dun a great song called Moonlight Shadow. Moonlight Shadow was da feme toon of one Dave Angel, Eco-warrior from The Fast Show. Dave Angel was played by comedy stand up comedian Simon Day. Simon Day has suffered wiv drug problems frewout his life, his drug of choice bein cocaine. Simon Day starred in the movie Run Fat Boy Run wiv Simon Pegg. Simon Pegg was in the great zombie movie Shaun of the Dead. In Shaun of the Dead they play White Lines in a scene outside the pub. White Lines is an anti-drug song from awesome Hip Hop Grandmaster Melle Mel. So dat is ma linky. White Lines by Grandmaster Melle Mel.Don't dus drugs!



An da winner ... as chosen by  .... Wyn and Freddie ...... dus be ......... on bloomin eck! Is me again! Dad ain't gonna be very appy!

So it's over to you. Email me: lexie at toxicpenguin dot com or DM me on twitter (@dogstoyevsky) wiv your link suggestion followin on from dis one! You has until 29th June 2014 (gets it to me by 2pm UK time if poss). Oh sometimes I dus accidentally delete em! Heehee. So good idea to type DO NOT DELETE in the title and dussnt forget to send a linky to da video from You Tube!

Lexie's Chain dus be inspired by da pawsome Radcliffe & Maconie Show wot you can has a listen to on dere website. Follow me @dogstoyevsky or #lexieschain on Twitter to join da fun. Remember anyfink goes! Rock, classical, opera, ballads, punk, reggae - is up to you! Fanx for playin!

No comments:

Post a Comment