Tuesday 26 May 2015

Lexie's Chain: The Two Hundred and Twenty Fifth Chain


Hello pals. Welcome to week 225 #lexieschain. Last week the winner was Wyn wiv I Want My MTV from Dire Straits. Let's see wot we dus gotted dis week!

@kelsoterrier
Money for Nothing is a great song written from the perspective of a store clerk watching all the stars on MTV and commenting that it's not proper work and they get their money for nothing. You do usually have to work for your money but, thankfully, our benefit system lends a helping hand if you find yourself in Dire Straits and losing your job. In 1978 you had to fill in form UB40 to claim your unemployment benefit and the band of the same name wrote a song about the local workforce claiming unemployment benefit in the West Midlands in the summer of 1981 which was called "one in ten" which is my link for the week.



@maggietkat
Well done Wyn with "Money for Nothing". mark Knopfler is an accomplished musician, penning compositions and producing records. One of Mark's musical influences was Django Reinhardt, an incredible guitarist. Although I wouldn't call Reinhardt the "sultan of swing", his compositions and techniques significantly contributed to jazz. His violinist Stéphane Grappelli shares the stage in "Minor Swing".



@terenceterrier
Larst week Wynters winned (finally!) wiv “Money for Nothing” by Dire Straits. Some peeps wot want munney for nuffin are bank robbers. Dey must be in dire straits to do summat nawty like dat. Some famuss 1930’s American bank robbers were Bonnie & Clyde. So for my linky I gives you da “Ballad of Bonnie & Clyde” by Georgie Fame and The Blue Flames. Dis linky gives yoo da real historical piccies of dem rather than piccies from da 1967 Hollywood film wiv Warren Beatty n Faye Dunaway.



@djladylexie
Money for Nuffin By Dire Straits. 'I want my, I want my MTV' is the openin lyrics wot was sung by Sting from The Police. If you listen closely you can hear that Sting used the same melody as 'Don’t' Stand So, Don't Stand so close to me'. In this song a teacher falls in love with a young student. The song refers to the book Lolita by Nabokov. So me linky this week dus be about age gaps but me turnin it around and offering up Mrs Robinson wot dus be a young man wot gets seduced by an older woman! So me gives you Mrs Robinson and Simon and Barfunkel.



@skye613
May be to late but .... Wyn did win with Money For Nothing. Great tune. So to get some noms for this crew I say " Take The Money and Run " Have a great week pals! 



An the winner as chosen by Wyn dus be ........................... oh .................. is me again! Pfftttttt. Err ... dad ....................... me got somfink to ask you heehee!

Ere wot Wyn said: Well, lots of great songs this week but I'm going to pick link number 4. Two reasons, first of all we never realised it was the same melody but as Don't Stand So Close To Me. And secondly because "Barfunkel" made me laugh out loud. 

So it's over to you. Email me: lexie at toxicpenguin dot com or DM me on twitter (@dogstoyevsky) wiv your link suggestion followin on from dis one! You has until 31st May 2015 (gets it to me by 2pm UK time if poss). Oh sometimes I dus accidentally delete em! Heehee. So good idea to type DO NOT DELETE in the title and dussnt forget to send a linky to da video from You Tube!

Lexie's Chain dus be inspired by da pawsome Radcliffe & Maconie Show wot you can has a listen to on dere website. Follow me @dogstoyevsky or #lexieschain on Twitter to join da fun. Remember anyfink goes! Rock, classical, opera, ballads, punk, reggae - is up to you! Fanx for playin!

No comments:

Post a Comment